Thursday, September 6, 2012

"I met Maria Montessori in 1938 or 1939..." Rie Munoz



We were very excited that Rie Munoz came by The Bridge yesterday. She came with a slide projector and a carousel full of images from her late 1960's stay at King Island, where she worked as a teacher. 

When Rie first arrived, we spent a few moments introducing ourselves to each other. I told her that I had worked as a Montessori teacher for years and was now bringing Montessori to seniors. She leaned forward and said to me, "I don't know why someone didn't think of that years ago. It makes perfect sense." I smiled and told her I agreed. 

She then told me something that caused my heart to leap. She said, "I met Maria Montessori in 1938 or 1939. I was going to school at the first Montessori school in Holland and she came to visit all of us." She added that the school was in Wassenaar, Holland.

One of my AMI trainers, Mrs. Fernando, was trained by Maria Montessori. Yet, this is the first person I have ever been introduced to who met Maria while they, themselves, were attending a Montessori school. It was a wonderful surprise that was soon followed by an amazing slide show which truly gave insight into the art work that has brought Rie Munoz international recognition.

The photo below was taken at The Bridge of Rie Munoz on Sept 5, 2012.  She is simply wonderful! //www.adn.com/2011/08/20/2023906/artist-rie-munoz-reflects-on-her.html


No comments: