Sunday, September 2, 2012

BINGO - When In Doubt Call Dad



My Dad, Harvey S. Dyer (photo above taken in Scotland this past June) has come through for me again. My Dad has a thing for math. During the fifteen years he was in the army he designed computer war game systems and much, much more. I have called him many times when my computer screen suddenly went blank. I emailed him yesterday and asked him to read my first post about BINGO (Coffee Is Brewing and So Is Something In My Noggin). He read it and then emailed me back early this morning, well early for me. He lives in Princeton, NJ and I live in Juneau, AK.  Here is his comment:

"There are an infinite number of lines between each pair of major coordinate lines, and the intersection of each horizontal line with each vertical line is a point. In a global mapping system, that is important because each square includes a lot of real estate on the earth's surface. 

A point where two major coordinate lines intersect is identified as 4,3 or 34,40. Likewise, all the other points are identified by the intersections of other (non-major) coordinate lines, eg 3.0158,5.3216 (or in true map language degrees, minutes and seconds). 

And in the global mapping system, the lines are identified, not the squares. The J-18 method used to identify a square on the map of a particular region relies on a persons ability to look at the square and find the exact point he is looking for, so only the major coordinate lines (which usually are not lines of longitude and latitude) are needed. 

And in Bingo, the square itself is the only thing that needs to be identified because there are no points of interest within any given square. If you have to have points in Bingo, you might say that the center of each square is identified by B-22 or N-6, etc."    

---
Yet, his comment does not answer my questions regarding why seniors with dementia find so much pleasure playing BINGO. 90% of the seniors that I work with play BINGO independently and several play on multiple boards. 

Too, when they win they call out five number/letters and then identify a line created by those. I want to know what in the brain itself finds pleasure or some other satisfying emotion during the playing of the game. 

Dang...its Labor Day weekend and I need to throw something good into the crockpot. No time to linger on this BINGO lingo now. But, I am planning on posting about my poetry and prose activities with seniors later...well, maybe. I might fry up some of that "Chicken of the Woods" and post pictures of that instead. It's all good...so good!

No comments: