Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Whales and Bubble Net Feeding

We had a wonderful guest speaker last week who gave a lovely lesson on whales and bubble net feeding for both Primary afternoon classes, together. Humpback and Orca whales, as well as other types, live in Alaskan waters.

Then, this week, when I introduced peeling and slicing hard boiled eggs to the Practical Life shelves, I found myself asking the children to look at the slicer and tell me if they saw anything that made them think of whales (actually, I hadn't seen the connection until I saw the egg slicer myself) - baleen was their collective answer. The metal wires that do the slicing recalled how the non-toothed whales use baleen to gather and eat their food. It was an interesting connection.

The lesson the visitor use to demonstrate how baleen whales gather food is as follows. She poured blue colored water into a large, plastic container. She then sprinkled pepper onto the top of the water. The pepper represented herring. Next she took a large toothed comb (model for the baleen) and drew it through the water demonstrating how the "herring" is collected and consumed.

A Baleen Whale:



An egg slicer:



Whales and egg slicers - who would have thought?

No comments: