Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Blue Turkey



Today in school I watched a 4 year old illustrate a handout of a turkey, He colored it completely blue. I quietly approached him and said, "I really like how you are working on that picture. I was wondering why you chose blue to illustrate it." I said all of this in a soft, respectful voice. He looked at me as if I had a light out in my head. "I'm coloring Susan. This isn't a real turkey. Coloring means using colors." Then he looked at me like, "Wow, they let you teach." I had to leave the room because I started to joyously, belly laugh at all he had revealed to me. "Coloring, Susan. Yeah, ya know where they use colors!"




2 comments:

melissa said...

Oh, my. I got quite a belly laugh from this, too. It's a rare teacher who can hear that and laugh, rather than take the child's tone personally. Brilliant!

Leslie said...

This is awesome!I'm still smiling thinking about it! Thanks for sharing!