Monday, November 28, 2011

Declamation Poem for December - Winter Solstice Chant



(Above: My chalkboard sketch to help visualize the poem during our first reading of it in class today.)

This is the December poem for Elders to recite for declamation in my class. If you click "December poem" you may hear it read out loud.

There is a large solstice celebration here in Juneau, Alaska on Sa
ndy Beach which I am excited to attend for the first time this year. Sandy Beach is just behind my school, so this poem is perfect for my students.

Winter Solstice Chant

by Annie Finch

Vines, leaves, roots of darkness, growing,
now you are uncurled and cover our eyes
with the edge of winter sky
leaning over us in icy stars.
Vines, leaves, roots of darkness, growing,
come with your seasons, your fullness, your end -
come with your seasons, your fullness, your end.


Poetry is interpretive. I talk about metaphor in poetry and creative writing often with my students. I want to give them poems to recite that invite them to think about the coupling of imagery and language. This is a creative writing / language lesson.

(After reading and explaining the poem - I added the sun's return in the right corner. I also explained that the sun is in fact always shining.)



No comments: