Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Treasure Trove of Flower Petals


We have had a long winter here in Boston. Now that it looks like we have had our last snowfall of the season, it has rained everyday. As we sat inside this past Friday afternoon listening to it pour, I suddenly remembered the work we did last Spring pressing flowers. I invited the children to join me as I emptied the basket of flower presses onto the classroom's largest table. Two small hands assisted mine in unscrewing the bolts. I myself had forgotten what type of flowers we had left between the cardboard sheets and felt a sense of anticipation as I raised the first wooden lid.

I slowly lifted the cover sheet from one of the layers. The children's eyes opened wide. The flowers of last Spring bloomed again in that moment of discovery. The petals were dry and were somewhat translucent like the wings of small insects. One of the students got the tweezers, another q-tips and a third one got a glue stick. I fetched the sheets of marbleized paper the children had made after completing their journals.

Soon, the children were crafting small scenes composed from Nature's own creations. It was a wonderful way to spend the last hour of a rainy afternoon.






Exhaust the little moment. Soon it dies.
And be it gash or gold it will not come
Again in this identical disguise


Gwendolyn Brooks
"Annie Allen"

No comments: