Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Three Lessons on Rain



Rain is the current topic in my classroom and weather outside. I have given one lesson and done two activities with the children regarding this subject this week giving testimony to the amount of time that we have gone outside - very, very little. Also, I read several books that focused on clouds and cloud identification.

The first lesson Cristina learned from a Montessori assistants training she took two summers ago. She was kind enough to share it with me and in return I asked her to present it to the children. See below how to demonstrate a "raincloud":






Above photograph: Cristina demonstrates how to shape a cotton ball into a "cloud."




Above photographs - Using the eyedropper, Cristina drops water onto the cotton ball "cloud." She dropped ten to twelve drops before it began to "rain" from the "cloud."



Above photograph: It is difficult to see, but at the bottom of the cotton ball "cloud" a raindrop is about to fall. She continued to add more water via the eyedropper and more "rain" fell into the small dish below.



Above photograph: Cristina now squeezes all of the water out of the cotton ball "cloud."



Above photograph: Now she carefully tilts the bowl to show the amount of water that was in the "cloud." Children may get a small measuring cup to determine the exact amount of water. It is a lovely, simple lesson.


The first group activity was making gray rainclouds from shaving cream and Elmer's glue. We made the clouds from the left over cans of shaving cream used in the marbleizing paper work. What is so cool about this art activity is that the clouds remain three dimensional. They are puffy and they dry that way - unless a child accidentally leans on them and flattens them. The children really enjoyed this lesson and made some wonderful cloud shapes.

Mix 1/2 cup Elmer's glue with 2 cups of shaving cream and a small amount of black liquid watercolor.







The last activity I based on a small book my own son Ian made 15 years ago when he was 5. I love this little souvenir of his childhood. The first photo is of his cover. The rest are taken of the various pages made by my younger students










I hope to see a ray of sunlight soon.

5 comments:

Līga Krista said...

where do uget so much shaving cream?

The Guilletots said...

These are brilliant ideas. We live in ireland and we have a lot of rain.. So it is a very sweet and simple way to introduce the idea of concept of clouds to the children. I will definitely do these activities with my kids.And I will make sure I refer to you and your blog if it is OK. Thanks

Deb Chitwood said...

Wonderful spring activities! I especially love the mixture of science and practical life in the first activity! I featured your post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/03/28/activity-of-the-week-montessori-inspired-spring-activities/

Elle Belles Bows said...

Hi! Found you through Deb at LMN.

You really have an inspiring blog. Thanks for sharing your activities!

Kerri

The Guilletots said...

HI again. Just to let you that I have quoted you in my blog. I have "stolen" your idea but I made sure to mention you.
http://theguilletots.blogspot.com/2011/04/weather-in-april-booklet.html