Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Coin Bank Game....I Highly Recommend It - Updated

I have three different coin works on the math shelves. The one that is occasionally used is the mystery bag with coins. The other two are rarely touched and only at my suggestion. I spent a very long time trying to find a work that would be similar to the work with the golden beads bank game. I finally found it and the children are really enjoying it.

The materials required are:

Two small bowls
A container for assorted coins
A di - if you want you can add a container for the di


This is a photo of my coin bank game on its tray:





Give a bowl to each child. Explain the rules - one child rolls the di and then takes from the coin bank that amount. Before passing the di he must make any changes he wishes to make. So the other child asks, "Are you done?" The child with the di answers "Yes," or "No." If he says "No" that means he is going to make an exchange. He counts his coins and exchanges them for others. Ex. He counts five pennies as 5 and exchanges the pennies for a nickel. See below

1. He rolls the di, gets a five and takes five pennies from the coin bank



2. He exchanged the five pennies for a nickel.




3. The next child rolls a six, so she takes six pennies from the coin bank



4. She now exchanges five of the pennies for a nickel. She now has a nickel and a penny in her bowl.



5. The first player, after another roll of the di, now has enough to exchange two nickels for a dime.



All exchanges are done in a very specific way. Ex. The child takes his two nickels out of his bowl and places them on the rug in front of him. He takes a dime from the bowl and asks the other student, "Is this a fair exchange." The other student answers "Yes" or "No." Upon hearing "Yes" he takes the two nickels and puts them in the coin bank. He places the dime in his bowl.

To assist the children in recognizing a coin and assigning its correct value, a control card is available for them to refer to. Patti made this two-sided control card.




The game continues until the first person exchanges their coins for a quarter. This is the initial winning amount but it does not need to be exact as a child may have 28 cents in their bowl - a quarter and three pennies for example. See photo below.



The winning amount is increased after awhile to a fifty cent piece and then a dollar bill. It is a really good teaching tool for counting coins, recognizing their value and their names. I am very pleased with it as is Cristina, my afternoon assistant.

We played each other the other day as part of the initial presentation. After a few turns, the game really moves. At one point Cristina was so upset, actually laughing. She thought she had enough to exchange her coins for a quarter making her the winner. But, when she re-counted her coins before making the exchange she was five cents short. Yes, I won. She loved the game. She is going to put one together to play at home with her children.

8 comments:

Hi. I'm, Maddy. And you are? said...

OMG I love this!! I have been trying to teach my 4 and 3 year old about money with books and paper money from Lakeshore and coins and I'm SO lost!! Thank you so much for sharing this. And right on the heels of my 4 year old wanting to "look at the money in her piggy bank" tonight ($33 bucks, by the way!) They will love this. Love, love, love your blog. :)

N from the Learning Ark said...

This activity is great and just what i needed. Thank you so much for sharing.

Hannah said...

This is a very simple game, and yet the simplicity of things is often what attracts my kids to them. I do think you came up with a winner here! One question...what do you do to make kids aware of the monetary amount of different coins in the first place? Do you just do a three-period lesson on the values, or is there another way?

Thanks!

Susan Y. Dyer said...

Hannah,

Yes a three period lesson is presented. Also, my children use the blindfold with coins to learn their name and value. I forgot to add a photo of the control card that goes with the game which I am just about to do.

I also have a sorting exercise with coins for for young four year olds.

Return to my post and you will see the control card add.

Cheers,

Susan Dyer
The Moveable Alphabet

Susan Y. Dyer said...

Also, I am going to re-post the coin memory game. It will be just below the coin bank game post. This will show one of the earlier works.

Susan Dyer

The Moveable Alphabet

meg said...

Hi, Susan

I stumbled onto this site early in February and already I've incorporated this game, the coin Mystery Bag, and the Oil and Water experiment into my public Montessori classroom. They are all among the most-chosen works in my room. I appreciate your site for the beautiful pictures, links to other sites, clear directions and organization of the site, but most of all for the peace and joy that infuse every post. I can't wait to finish visiting the archives.
Thank you so much!

Susan Y. Dyer said...

Welcome Meg!!!!! Send pictures of your classroom to my email when you get a chance - sy.dyer@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I love this! I started money with my son in the last week, and he is really going to enjoy this game, I think. He has a sister a year older than him, and even though she has mastered money long ago, I think even she will enjoy playing this with him!