Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Quick Update on the Zero Activities


All of the children had brought chairs to the large rug to sit in as they had been told that a lesson on decorating pumpkins was about to begin. One of the children suddenly remembered that she had not placed her name tag on her work and so got up to do so before the lesson started. I then noticed something odd. Another child had placed her legs across the seat of the first child's chair. I ask the child why she had her legs like that.

From across the room, the first child, the one who got up to put her name tag on her work, said, "She is pretending to be my zero, Miss Dyer."

I looked at this child for a moment and then silently looked back over at the child with her legs on the chair's seat who explained to me, "I am being her placeholder."

"Wow," I heard Cristina say. I just smiled and thought to myself, "Yup, they get it."

No comments: