Saturday, May 31, 2008

Photographic Album 7

We still have a few days left until graduation. I have been delighted by the sudden and almost dramatic declarations some of my young five year olds have recently made, "I can read!" And sure enough, they can! All of the children have made enormous leaps this year both academically and socially. As the year comes to an end, we are outside more (the weather has been so gorgeous) and we have been doing more arts and crafts. I try to find projects that incorporate much of what we have been learning throughout the year. An example of this is the beach scene project that I put together using geometric shapes. We are also working on an assemblage project that involves color mixing. Here are a few photos of this past weeks work in the classroom:

A child independently found a ruler and drew, then painted, an Irish flag.

-------------------------------------

Three of my younger students "planted" twigs in the graveled landscape on the playground.

Next, they took handfuls of gravel and poured them slowly over their forest referring to the stones as "rain."

______

Students "explored" the sensorial materials.
--------

Using the geometry cabinet, I introduced fractions to the class.

--------------------

An older student made their own silence card and taped it to their table expressing their desire not to be disturbed while they worked.

---------------------------------

Using the geometry cabinet, I assembled this beach scene. I prepared one sheet for each student with the sand colored brown and a strip of blue for the sea. Then I invited them to construct their own seaside scenes. Their work is still in progress. I will post pictures when they are completed.
*******

The above was the final lesson of the week. It was a beginning presentation on graphing and on predictablility - the ability to predict outcome. I got this idea from a conference I attended this year. Each time a child uses either the red rods, the pink tower or color box II, they put a button into the designated box. When I presented this to my students, I asked each one of them which material they thought would prove to be the one most choosen for work. Each of my students was eager to predict the outcome. Next week, during group time, the older students will gather the boxes and bring them to circle. Each quantity will be individually recorded on graph paper. This will be the first time that they will make such notations. When I explained how a graph looks, one of my students quickly responded, "Oh, you mean like skyscrapers; like a city." I am looking forward to the counting and recording myself. This work will be out in the fall and I will occassionally change the materials being used.
*********
A very important event happens near the end of the year at my school: the Kindergarten Art Show. One of the other lead teachers gives lessons throughout the year on art focusing on various art periods and artistic styles that range from pointilism to Picasso's blue period, from Van Gogh to O'Keefe. The children maintain their own sketch books and every week learn both the methods of these various artists and the vocabulary associated with art. I have included a few pictures of the show and the children's work. The classroom was transformed into a gallery where cheese and crackers were provided for the parents while they enjoyed the display. The Kindergarten Art Show was, as always, an amazing success!

BRAVO!!!!

No comments: