Monday, March 31, 2008

A Very Busy Monday

It was a very busy day at school today. The children were all occupied with a variety of materials. Some were finishing work that had taken several days to complete. Others were repeating those very familiar to them such as the now famous confectionery sugar work. And while the photos below may show much work being done, there was so much more actually completed. There were pickles and crackers consumed. Maps were constructed. Number scrolls grew longer. Colored tablets were matched. Dressing frames were zipped, button and snapped (to name only a few) Startling the children, two small dishes broke in the Practical Life area. A lesson on the rectangle was given as a "doorway" to discovery. Mobiles were assembled and show-n-tell was held in the morning. The day flew by.

Take a look:



Minutes after he arrived, this student was busy table washing.
--------------------------------------------------------------



My oldest student decided to meticulously copy an entire book.


----------------------



Another older student selected to copy the names of the States as she assembled the map.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------



This student is painting the hemispheres on which he will glue his punched out continents.






He placed the continents on the guide to confirm eventual placement onto his painted hemispheres. Tomorrow he will glue them over the blue painted spheres.
-----------------------------------------------------------



Busy botanists.



------------------------------------------------------------

After weeks of students using much of the sensorial materials for exploration, I gave a group lesson on a single rectangle taken from the geometry cabinet. During the lesson, I asked the children to see the rectangle as a door; a door to their imagination, to the universe, as a doorway to discovery via one single piece of a larger material. After the presentation, I told them that I knew what I was thinking in regards to all that I had proposed, but that perhaps they needed help envisioning what I was suggesting - so I handed out sheets that had four rectangular doors illustrated on them. Two of the doors were patterned after household doors and the other two where left blank. I invited my students to design their own doorways with these.




They drew flower doors, heart doors, puppy doors, patterned and spotted doors. Next, I had them cut them out and collectively we assembled them into pipe cleaner mobiles. The children really enjoyed this work and so did my assistant Cristina, whose own mobile was quite lovely.

1 comment:

mrsmelva said...

I love the idea of using pipe cleaners to make a mobile. I have steered clear of mobiles because I found that the children couldn't tie the components independently, but with pipe cleaners they could do their own. I'm glad that I decided to check this post out with my coffee this morning.